Using many of the diagnostic procedures applied in conventional medical assessment, Osteopaths seek to restore the optimal functioning of the body and aid it’s ability to heal.
The session begins with a consultation. This is where important information is gathered concerning your pain, movement, lifestyle and past medical history. This aspect of the visit is essential in deciding whether you are safe to treat.
Osteopaths are trained to use many of the diagnostic skills which doctors regularly use. If for any reason John thinks that the cause of your pain is a more serious problem, he will advise you on the next course of action. (Do not worry, the more serious problems are rare).
Once you are safe to treat, you will be asked to undress to your underwear (shorts can be worn). You will be covered by a towel while lying on the couch. John will always leave the room when you are getting changed.
- A physical examination of your spine and injury will then take place.
- John will explain his findings and the problem to you and advise on the prognosis.
- Specific treatment is performed to the injured area and general posture.
- Advice given on posture and excercises.
- Advise on how many treatments needed to cure the problem.
- Advise given on how maintenance treatments can improve your health and prevent pain and injuries in the future.
- John is constantly monitoring your problem and reassessing.